The club's official name will be Shongweni Model Flying Club. No other name will be used in the advertisement or representation of the club.
2. Purpose for the club's existence
To fly model aircraft in a safe and controlled environment.
To promote Aero modelling under the auspices of the South African Model Aircraft Association.
Membership is open to everyone.
All pilots / members, irrespective of their level of proficiency, must be members of:
- Shongweni Model Flying Club (S.M.F.C)
- Durban Shongweni Club (D.S.C)
- South African Model Aircraft Association (S.A.M.A.A)
- All members will have voting rights. (Does not include D.S.C)
- A new member must be nominated by an existing member and approved by a committee member.
- All members must strive to achieve a S.A.M.A.A proficiency level.
Membership is at the discretion of the committee.
The executive committee shall consist of not less than four persons. Functions to be performed are:
- A Chairman
- Safety Officer
- Chief Flying Instructor
- Proficiency Officer
- Officer Helicopters
- Communications Officer
Some functions may be combined under one person, and at least one committee member shall carry over to the next year.
5. Duties of the Executive
- Will oversee the other members of the executive in their duties
- Will chair all meetings
- Will have signing authority for the club together with the Treasurer
- Will assist the Chairman in his/her duties
- Will assume all powers of the Chairman in his/her absence
- Will have signing authority together with the Treasurer
- Will be responsible for recording the minutes of all meetings
- Will keep the membership information up-to-date
- Will be responsible for all financial dealings of the club
- Will keep complete records of all financial dealings of the club (Petty Cash & Bank Statement)
- Will have signing authority for the club together with the Chairman / Vice-Chairman
- Will be responsible for ensure applicable safety rules are maintained.
- Will ensure the implementation of the safety rules.
- Will be responsible for investigating any accidents or incidence.
- Will be responsible for monitoring noise levels and keeping the records.
Chief Flying Instructor
- Will be responsible for the co-ordination of flying instruction for new members.
- Will assist with the maintenance with proficiency standards.
- Will assist with the implementation of all the safety standards.
- Will co-ordinate the training/instruction requirements for new members.
- Will co-ordinate the proficiency testing with the Chief Flying Instructor.
- Will ensure the maintenance of proficiency standards as per SAMAA requirements.
- Will be responsible for the record keeping and liaison with SAMAA.
- Will be responsible for all issues relating to helicopter SIG (special interest group).
- Will be responsible for the ensuring the safety standards are maintained within the group.
- Will co-ordinate the requests for training and in conjunction with the Proficiency Officer arrange for the necessary proficiency testing.
- Will assist the Chairman with the promoting of the club and the necessary liaison with the public and the members.
An annual membership fee will be set and approved by the members at the AGM and implemented on the 1st July to the 30st June the following year.
Fees must be paid before the 31st July.
Membership will be terminated on the 31st August if payment is not received.
New membership fees are on a pro rata basis and will be paid in full.
An entry fee, as annually decided upon, will be paid by new members or members whose membership was terminated and who wish to rejoin.
7. Meetings and Fiscal Year
The Fiscal Year will be July 1st to June 30th.
An Annual General meeting will be held in June / July.
Members will be informed of each of these meetings at least fourteen days in advance.
Extraordinary meetings will be held should the necessity arise.
A quorum will be six members.
Elections will be voted on at the A.G.M or if a member resigns from the committee.
Amendments to the constitution must win a two-thirds majority vote of members present.
Any member of the club who commits an act negatively affecting the interests of the club and its members may be given notice of impeachment.
The impeached individual will have the right to defend his/her actions.
A two-thirds majority vote of members present will result in the removal of the impeached individual from the club and the loss of any privileges associated with the club. Any membership fees paid will not be refunded.
11. Visiting Pilots
Visitors are most welcome at the club. A visitor is classed as a pilot that flies no more than 6 times a year at our club and there after must apply for membership. All visitors must be S.A.M.A.A members.
12. Pilot Training
Pilot Training may only be carried out by a competent club instructor who has been approved by the committee and achieved a minimum of a S.A.M.A.A approved Silver proficiency rating. All training to be under the direction of the CFI. Instructors approved by the club committee and with a S.A.M.A.A instructors rating may agree compensation with a student for instruction on condition that the club is not part to the financial arrangement in any manner and that all such activities are conducted under S.A.M.A.A and the club rules and regulations. Such instruction will fall under the requirements of the CFI. Any proficiency recommendations to S.A.M.A.A will be by the officers of the club.
13. Instructors and Test Pilots Liability
Instructors or Test Pilots cannot be held liable for any damage caused whilst training student pilots or test flying a member's aircraft.
Members are covered by SAMAA insurance policies.
Members have the responsibility of understanding the terms of the policy and any periodic amendments.
Members are to conduct flying activities within the constraints of the policy and associated SAMAA new club rules.
The Club, the committee or the membership as a group do not accept any liability caused by any individual or group of individuals through flying activities or behaviour of actions at the club airfield or associated clubs premises, that result in injury or loss to its members or any third party. The member or members causing such loss will carry full responsibility and have no recourse to the Club, the committee or Club members.